The BA30 is a quality alloy rim designed to withstand a real beating.
This is the rim for high-impact riding when the trails are rough and rugged. With an internal bracing structure, the BA30 has torsional stiffness for directional control in demanding circumstances. The BA30 features a thick bead wall adjacent the tire to resist impact deformation, with a wider, rounded top-edge to reduce sidewall cuts. The nipple/spoke bed is oriented to the spoke direction to reduce weakness caused by bend in the spoke at the nipple hole. The BA30 is made with premium alloy, extruded with an internal brace profile and carefully formed for consistent shape. It is then fusion welded and ground for a strong precise finish. Chromag’s fusion welding system leaves a perfect seamless joint that becomes the strongest section of the rim ensuring that your rim won’t split if you impact at the seam.
The rims are laced to Chromag’s new R4 hub. The R4 is designed to be a solid, reliable hub with a durable axle assembly and robust set of bearings. They’re using a tried and tested 4-pawl arrangement with 36 points of simultaneous engagement. What sets it apart is the large radius that the pawls are positioned on, reducing leverage at the point of engagement.
Chromag opted for a Chromoly steel axle for stiffness and longevity. Using steel allows a smaller diameter axle which in turn gives us more room to use larger, sealed bearings (we use USA made enduro bearings). The rear axle assembly uses thread-on end caps which are easy to service and resist compression from the frames axle (they don’t fall off during trailside repairs either!). R4 front hubs are available with standard or ‘torque’ end caps and rear hubs are available with XD, HG, or Microspline drivers.
- Material // Premium extruded alloy
- Finish // Fusion welded seam-ground finish
- Profile // Internal bracing profile / Impact resistant design
- Tubeless // Tubeless Ready
- Rim Weight // 27.5: 611g / 29: 624g
- Internal Width // 30mm
- Valve // Presta
- Max Tire Pressure 2.4″ // 45PSI
- Max Tire Pressure 2.8″ // 30PSI
- Max Spoke Tension // 125KgF
- Build Info // 27.5″ ERD: 566mm / 29″ ERD: 604mm
- Hole Count // 32
R4 REAR SPECS:
- Axle Diameter // 12mm
- Spacing // Boost 148mm
- Driver // XD, HG or Microspline (please request in order notes)
- Tubeless // Tubeless Ready, Taped, Valves Included
- Engagement // 4-pawl, 36 Point
- Spokes // 32